Listening requires focus, patience, and sometimes, negotiation skills. Hear Toronto-based management coach Mary Legakis Engel describe what active listening entails and why some of us struggle more than others to be great listeners. This episode is the second of two parts. The first episode can be found here.
What you’ll learn from this episode:
- What recent research says about managers’ listening skills (2:14).
- Why childhood experience can affect adults’ listening (3:02).
- The distinction between listening and active listening (4:04).
- Why good listeners sometimes must be good negotiators first (6:10).
- Why the accounting profession lends itself to the administrator leadership style (9:01).
- An explanation of “the stubborn scale” (10:37).
Play the episode below:
To comment on this podcast or to suggest an idea for another podcast, contact Neil Amato, an FM magazine senior editor, at Neil.Amato@aicpa-cima.com.